Mixed vegetable Theeyal is one of the traditonal dish of kerala.It can be prepared with bitter gourd, brinjal, okra. The curry is thickish perfect to pair with rice & Papadam, I had little leftover which I had with dosa the next day and I just loved the combo.
Raw banana 1
Carrot 1 ½
Green Beans 10
Bell pepper (capsicum) 1
Tamarind gooseberry size ball
Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
Salt as needed
Water as needed
For roasting and grinding
Oil 1 tsp.
Grated Coconut 1 cup
Coriander seeds 1 ½ tbsp.
Red Chiles 6 nos
Fenugreek seeds ½ tsp.
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Curry leaves 10
Grated coconut 1 tbsp.
Dry red chilies 2 no.
Wash and chop all vegetables lengthwise.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes and extract juice.
- Cook all the vegetables (except okra,bell pepper) in little water along with little salt and turmeric until soft but not mushy.
- Heat the pan add ½ tsp of oil; fry the dry coconut till golden brown. Simmer and add all masalas powders and stir and fry till it gives you a good aroma. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grind everything to a smooth paste along with 1 cup water.
- Take a cooking pan and add the ground paste, cooked vegetables and fried vegetables along with more water and salt. Simmer on medium flame for 5 -7 minutes.
- Add the tamarind juice in it and let it boil in medium flame
- Reduce flame and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Then add all other tempering and fry till coconut change in brown color.
- Pour the seasoning over the Theeyal and mix gently.
- Serve hot with steam Rice